The panda grouper is an easy to care for and healthy aquarium fish. With a variety of colors, it is a combination of red, yellow orange and black. But red grouper is still the most popular, what do you know about these friends? Let’s find out together.
What is a panda grouper?
The panda grouper looks cute as a panda. The panda grouper is also known in English as panda flaty. The appearance is a combination of white and black, resembling cute pandas. This is why this type of grouper is referred to by the brothers as panda grouper.
This aquarium fish is also very easy to care for, healthy and fast growing. Should be chosen by many people to be kept in fish tank, creating unique and vivid beauty for fish tank.
- English name: flat panda
- Scientific name : Xiphophore maculatus
- Surname: Poeciliidae
- Origin: Mexico, Central America
- pH: 7.0 – 7.5
- Temperature: 23 – 26 degrees Celsius
- Size of adult fish: 4-6 cm, short body – fat, wide – strong caudal fin. Females will generally be larger, more puffy, and lighter in color than males.
- Minimum tank size: 50 liters
- Nutrition: Panda Groupers are omnivorous, however, they should be fed nutritious food such as brine shrimp, frozen foods, worms, etc.
- Compatibility: The panda grouper is quite peaceful, so it can be kept with other species of fish. It is advisable to maintain the male/female fish ratio at 1/2 or 3 to prevent the female from being too bothered by the male.
- The reproduction: Grouper Panda spawns at the age of 5-6 months, pregnant for about 1.5 months or so, giving birth to about 20-30 babies each time. It is advisable to separate the fry from the brood after birth because they can be confused by the brood with “food”. Once the yolk under the belly of the fry is gone, you can start feeding them. Artemia is the most suitable food for young pomegranate seed groupers. If not, you can replace it with boiled egg yolk (however, it is not recommended to use egg yolk as it can contaminate the tank water).
Besides the characteristic of the body is white – black, very unique and looks like a panda. The Panda grouper also has exceptional characteristics such as:
- The body shape is quite slender and elongated. Mostly flat on the sides. Two filamentous pelvic fins, divided into two long rays.
- The dorsal fin is located on a curved dorsal base. The anal fin is located in the anterior part of the abdomen. Most of the caudal fin is shaped like a propeller.
- In panda grouper, male fish generally develop more dorsal and anal fins than female panda grouper.
- The female panda grouper is quite big, the belly is also big. The color is usually lighter than that of the male panda grouper.
What do panda groupers eat?
The panda grouper is an omnivore. Therefore, you must provide a varied and nutritious diet. For example, worms, frozen, minced shrimp in brine, industrial bran, sprirulina algae… They also eat algae that cling to the lake or small insects…
When it reaches the age of 6 months, can breed. The fish has a habit of giving birth and is pregnant for about 1.5 months. The number of births is 20 to 30 children/hour. After the mother fish finish spawning, you can separate the brood, prevent the brood from eating eggs.
Artemia is the most suitable food for powdered panda grouper. Or you can prepare a little more boiled egg yolk instead. But it will probably quickly contaminate the water in the lake.
How much does panda plaice cost?
The price of a panda grouper is only around 6,000 VND/fish. It depends on their size and origin.