If the cat has signs of itching, patchy hair loss, the area of hair loss is red, round… your cat most likely has a fungus. So what are the causes and how to treat cats with fungus? chocanh discover.
What is fungal disease in cats?
Ringworm is one of the most common diseases, commonly observed in cats, especially western cats or hybrid cats such as British shorthair cats, British longhair cats, Persian cats… The disease will cause superficial infections of upper classes. or claws. Parasites that cause this disease include: Microsporum canis, Trichophyton, and Epidermophyton.
The cause of the cat’s fungus
Because Vietnam’s climate is very hot and humid, one of the ideal conditions for fungus to grow, it is easy to do so if cats are not exposed to the sun, do not dry their hair after bathing, or live in a humid environment. . give cat with mushrooms.
However, if you’re the clean type, bathing your cat too many times can also expose her to a fungal infection. The reason is that excessive bathing and brushing will reduce the loss of fungal sebum, one of the prevention factors in cats, and at the same time, it will destroy the epidermal cells that make them not intact, which will increase the risk of infection due to moisture. . of the skin and hair, causing a fungal condition
Symptoms of a cat with a fungus
Feline thrush can be found in cats of any age and breed. However, cats under 6 months old, belonging to breeds with long and thick hair such as the British longhair cat, the Persian cat… will be more prone to fungal infections than other breeds.
If you see your cat displaying the achocanh-like symptoms listed below, it definitely has a fungal infection, which requires specific treatment. Although the disease is not dangerous, if left too long it can cause death.
When the cat has a fungal infection, there will be layers of dead cells on the baby’s skin, usually: dander; weak and broken coat with irritation and redness of the skin;
Cats with fungus are often very itchy, uncomfortable, and their hair breaks and falls out in patches.
The area of hair loss is usually red, round or oval, ring-shaped, coin-shaped with a pink border around it.
If the cat has a severe fungus, it will spread throughout the body with large patches of hair loss, thickening of the skin, dermatitis… if left untreated for a long time, it will cause a blood infection, which can be fatal.
Cats with fungus are easily mistaken for mange. Therefore, if the cat is very sick, it is best to shave a piece of skin and hair from the infected area. Then take it to the vet for examination or look it up under a microscope for a more accurate diagnosis.
Cat fungus is very contagious if you keep them together. In particular, it can be transmitted to people, especially young children or newcomers to the area, who are sensitive to cats.
Treatments when cats have fungal infections
- When you have a fungal infection, it’s best to shave your baby’s hair to prevent the fungus from spreading and to make it easier to apply the medicine.
- Bathe the cat 1-2 times/1 week, it is best to use a specialized shampoo for fungus, or use green tea leaves, fresh lemon to bathe.
- Clean the affected area and apply some topical antifungal medicines to apply such as Nizoral, Kentax, Ketoconazole, Flucinazole, fungikur or thivandin, zinc oxide ointment, use 1-2 times a day.
You should keep in mind that, after applying the medicine to prevent the cat from licking it, it is best to use an anti-licking ring, a protective ring for the cat.
- Also, you can take your baby to the vet for an injection to treat fungal infections, or babies can be given vaccines starting at 4 months of age.
Prevention of fungal diseases in cats.
- Do not buy cats of unknown origin.
- If cats are found to be at risk of fungal infections, they should be separated and locked in a separate cage to avoid contact with other cats.
- Bathe your cat in the sun regularly.
- Keep the cat’s area clean and dry.
- Dry the cat’s fur after bathing.
- On very humid days, keep the cat in a dry place.
- Cats that show signs of itching need special isolation, care, and monitoring.
- Do not come into contact with cats suspected of having fungal infections or wear gloves when in contact.
- Choose to buy cats with clear origins, full health checks.
Fungi are not the type that can be completely cured on day 1, day 2, so you have to be very patient with your baby. Achocanh hopes that the above information has helped you to recognize and know how to prevent and treat fungal diseases in cats. Good luck