The bullhead Ali is one of the favorite aquarium fish of aquarists. Not as colorful as other fish, but this fish has very attractive humpback stripes. Let’s learn more about Ali’s bullhead through this article
What is an Ali bullhead fish?
Ali bullhead has the scientific name Cyphotilapia frontosa belongs to the tilapia family, this fish is part of the Ali family favored by many aquarists. In Vietnam, this fish goes by many different names such as unicorn, bullhead, six-banded mackerel… Mainly distributed in Lake Tanganyika in Africa, this fish is a male-male boto fish. Lake Frontosa and Blue Frontosa Cyphotilapoa gibberosa.
- Bullhead of the Order: Perciformes
- Family: Cichlidae (tilapia family)
- Scientific name: Cyphotilapia frontosa
- English name: humpback cichlid; Frontosa cichlid
- Vietnamese name: unicorn fish, royal 6-stripe fish, bullhead fish
- Distribution: mainly in Lake Tanganyika (Africa)
- Taxonomy: There are 2 main lineages, Southern Frontosa and Blue Frontosa Cyphotilapia gibberosa.
Bullhead Ali fish is about 33cm long, lives well in 24-26 degrees Celsius, omnivorous, reproduces by laying eggs, has a lifespan of 25 years, can be longer if well maintained.
- Fish length (cm): 33
- Water temperature (C): 24 – 26
- Water hardness (dH): 12 – 15
- pH: 8.0 – 8.5
- Food Habit: Omnivorous
- Reproduction: lay eggs
- Interior aquifer: All aquifers
- Reproduction: The ratio of males to females involved in reproduction is 1:3. The fish lays its eggs on the rock, the female incubates the eggs in her mouth and takes care of the fry.
The Most Popular Types of Bullhead Ali Fish
Typically, the bullhead Ali has 6-7 black stripes on a white background, and its fins are bluish-white or light blue. Currently, there are several variations of the regionally named bullhead, including:
bullhead burundi with six bands
Burundi Bull Head 6-Stripes: This variation is variegated, with a slightly flattened body and a large bump. Burundi has a very nice range of colors, although they have very little blue. Due to inbreeding, their bodies are getting longer and longer.
Zaire Blue (Zaire Blue)
Zaire blue bullhead: This type is named after the country of Congo. This set has the most beautiful blue color, the purple blue color is quite impressive. They have a central band on the top of the head that extends from the center of the eye to the gill plates.
Tanzanian bullhead with six stripes
Tanzanian 6-Stripe bullhead: This is a rare variant that shares the same physical characteristics as the Burundi, but has a different balance of stripes on the sides.
Tanzanian Seven-band Bullhead (Kigoma Bullhead)
fish head kipili
Kipilli Bullhead: Kipilli – Individuals of Kipili frontosa are very rare in the aquarium market. This fish is blue, but not as blue as other species.
Green faced bull head
Blue-headed Zambian (blue face): This group of variants is very diverse, with some having pale green faces along the eyes. Especially male and female fish will change color. The bullhead has a nice green color and few or no females. Fertility is also bad
Kavala bullheads: These are extremely dangerous individuals, they have beautiful stripes, a beautiful but erratic green color that changes with mood, and their dorsal fin is yellow and colorful.
fish head samazi
Ali bullhead fish price
Bull prices vary by species, population size, color and age. In particular, they are usually sold on average between 200,000 and 600,000 VND / head. There are bull heads sold for 1,000,000 VND/head.
How to Raise and Care for Bullhead Fish
Bullhead Ali fish needs a wide and deep tank, the best tank length is more than 120cm (because the fish lives at a depth of 20-30m in the wild), the tank volume is 250 L. This fish is territorial and likes to dig, so a few holes in the rock and simple decorations will help this fish feel more natural in the aquarium environment. It is necessary to remain single or to have a male and three females, because this species is also very aggressive.
- Mode of multiplication: grafting
- Cultivation in algae pond: no
- Light requirement: medium
- Type of food: Juveniles, insects, molluscs, crustaceans, pellets and frozen
- Maintenance: Fish need regular aerator and filter operation (because Lake Tanganyika is rich in oxygen), stable temperature, slightly hard water environment above a Alkaline pH greater than 7.0.
- Food: Includes fingerlings, insects, molluscs, crustaceans, pellets and frozen foods.
Because the bullhead Ali is omnivorous, mainly eating the middle and lower layers, with ruminant properties, the fish’s bladder is easily damaged, so it is not recommended to feed the fish food on the water. For grainy dry cans, which tend to carry air with small bubbles when placed in water, the bubbling system should be located high, avoiding the feeding area, preferably under the filter. You should also only feed them for 6 days and take 1 day off to clean the tank and change the water so that the fish have the freshest living environment.
With Ali fish related knowledge, I hope it will be helpful for you with aquarium fish knowledge, helping you better understand fish, drop your enthusiasm with fish. If you find this information interesting and useful, please visit and read more fishing lines in our aquarium category.